#Audio. A monologue about truth and art written for the 2018 28 Plays Later challenge.
I mean, let’s be honest, I’m not in my twenties anymore. Hell, it’s been a while since I’ve seen thirty. Or forty. I’ve had a child – nursed her – I’ve never completely gotten over my love affair with carbs. I hate working out. I have dance training, but I’ve never been a natural dancer, and there’s a reason I play character parts.
My body shows all of that. My body is the reason.
But even without that…. Even without just one of those things, I’ve always been the girl – the woman – who was teased for being fat. Who had to wear a bra at the age of eight. Who is always too short and too loud and too hairy and too busty and too round.
(I mean, seriously, in the event of a water landing, my tits are built-in flotation devices).
Links and References
- Dog Days of Podcasting website
- Theatre Delicatessen’s 28 Plays Later challenge
- Read Body Positive at MissMeliss.com
- Special thanks to Nuchtchas for her original artwork
- The Bathtub Mermaid: Tales from the Tub is written and produced by Melissa A. Bartell, and is recorded and produced using the BossJock iPad app and Audacity.
- Bathtub Mermaid album art was created by Rebecca Moran of Moran Media
- Music used for the opening and closing is a mix of Chris Zabriskie’s “The Oceans Continue to Rise” from the Free Music Archive and Kevoy’s clip of whales off the coast of French Polynesia from Freesound.
- Chris Zabriskie’s song is also used under the readings.
- Twitter: @Melysse
- Facebook: MissMelysse
- Instagram: @Melysse
- Email: email@example.com
- Or, leave a comment on this page.