My Sunday Brunch column from April, 2017. The Asbury Park boardwalk, and particularly the carousel, are the touchstones of my childhood.
Outside the carousel house, the twilight of evening is melting into full darkness. The scent of hot dogs and cotton candy mixes with the salty brine of sea and sand. The lights on the rollercoaster are reflected upon the glassy ocean.
The night feels made of magic.
I am twelve years old, and I have no idea that it will be the last time I see the boardwalk with its rides active, with children running back and forth, with indulgent parents and grandparents handing over money in exchange for pretzels with mustard, paper cones full of popcorn, or wax-coated bags of salt-water taffy.
Links & References:
- The Dog Days of Podcasting homepage
- Sunday Brunch: Carousel of Memories at Modern Creative Life
- The Bathtub Mermaid: Tales from the Tub is written and produced by Melissa A. Bartell, and is recorded and produced using the BossJock iPad app and Audacity.
- Bathtub Mermaid album art was created by Rebecca Moran of Moran Media
- Music used for the opening and closing is David Popper’s “Village Song” as performed by Cello Journey. This music came from the podsafe music archive at Mevio’s Music Alley, which site is now defunct.
- Image credit: Personal collection
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Instagram: Melysse
- Twitter: Melysse
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 5:50 — 7.7MB)